Winter weather can bring extreme conditions to the Hagerstown, Maryland area, but it’s also the season with the most electrical fires. Heating equipment is the second leading cause of home fires in the United States.

Get an Electrical Safety Inspection

Many necessary components may be a risk to catch fire, they don’t look dangerous to the untrained eye. By having one of our electricians come for for a routine inspection, our team can check to see if you have outdated fuse boxes, damaged wiring, and faulty electrical panels. Outdated equipment poses a high risk, call us today to help eliminate those risks!

Use Caution with Space Heaters

We understand that sometimes, polar temperatures require additional heat. Never the less, we encourage extreme caution and safety when it comes to space heaters. Don’t run cords underneath area rugs, this can start a fire. Also, be sure to keep anything flammable away from the space heater front, including paper, drapes, pillows, blankets.

Surge Protectors & Power Strips

Only use surge protectors with internal circuit breakers. These units will trip the breaker if the power strip is overloaded and shorted to prevent overheating.

Don’t hide electrical cords or power strips behind furniture or under rugs because they could spark and start a fire!

Have more electrical needs? Funk Electrical services the Hagerstown, MD and Tri-State area. Contact us today!