With all the hustle and bustle of the busy holiday season, it can be easy to forget that decorations, lights, trees and even wrapped gifts can become hazardous. However, these hazards can be easily prevented. With the following tips, you’ll be sure to have a safe and pleasant holiday experience!

  •  Keep all your cords in an open, dry location. This will prevent any damage to the cords and can prevent fires and other electrical hazards. Be sure not to hide extension cords under carpets, behind beds, etc. Also, avoid overloading extension cords and inspect them for damage before using.
  • Make sure your lights are approved for where you’re putting them. For example, you should not decorate the outside of your house with indoor lights. Before you go to bed, make sure that you turn off all lights to prevent a fire hazard. At the end of the holiday season, put your lights and decorations in a manner that will not damage bulbs or wiring.
  • Keep your tree healthy and fresh by watering every day. Doing this will prevent your tree from becoming dry, which is a fire hazard.
  • Be sure to plug space heaters directly into a receptacle. Do not plug it into an extension cord. Also, be careful not to pile things too close to the heater that may catch fire.
  • Check your smoke detector batteries. This is a very simple task that could potentially save your life. If the batteries are dead or dying, replace the batteries with fresh, unused ones.

If you need to call a service tech for a problem you’re having, follow these tips beforehand:

  • If only one circuit is out in the house, check breakers and GFI receptacles first to see if they are tripped.
  • If the whole house is without power, check with a neighbor to see if they are having the same problem. If so, call your power company to see if they have record of a power outage in your area.
  • If you smell something burning, call as soon as possible.
  • Check the batteries in your thermostat before the heating season, or if the screen goes blank.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the Funk Electrical Service Family!